It’s been awhile but I’m back in the saddle again, ready to crank out some camp reports. The weather was pretty decent today, not as humid as it has been and we had a good breeze.
When I first got to the facility I noticed the camera towers were located by the far field so we made the trek to the far field small bleachers – good thing because that’s where all the action was today.
Overall I thought the practice was sloppy, too many bad throws, dropped balls and bad snaps today.
Before team drills they did some positional group drills – RB’s vs LB’s and WR’s vs DB’s in passing situations.
- A lot has been said about Adrian Peterson’s pass catching abilities (or lack of) but he made Manti Te’o look foolish on a crossing route. Beat him by a couple of steps.
- Ken Crawley with a nice pass break-up on a ball intended for Josh Hill – Crawley had an active day today.
- Josh Hill bounces back for a deep seam catch over safety Robenson Therezie.
11 on 11 team drills start, this 1st session was run heavy with some passing involved.
- Delvin Breaux is absent today. (Payton confirmed he has an injury)
- It didn’t take long for things to get popping as A.J. Klein tattooed Alvin Kamara on a run play. He de-cleated him, I don’t think Kamara even seen him coming.
- Kenny Vaccaro getting in on the PBU action with a good play on the ball knocking it loose from Willie Snead on a deep sideline route.
- Jack Allen with an over the head snap.
- Just now realizing how hard it is to see the action when my sweat washes sunscreen into my eyes.
- Ryan Nassib struggled today, this time badly missing an open Tommylee Lewis – the ball should have been picked off.
Special teams punt drills get under way with Alvin Kamara miss judging his first two – one over his head and one bounced about five feet in front of him. Tommylee lewis does himself no favors dropping an easy punt and losing another in the sun. I think a lot of this drill is Thomas Morstead working on his sideline punting angles, at least I hope it was because a lot of punts went out-of-bounds.
Seven on seven drills begin.
- Mike Thomas with the medium out route catch – Ken Crawley with tight coverage, just a good catch.
- Good to see Alex Anzalone getting the bulk of his work with the 1st team unit.
- Taveze Calhoun jumps a route on a ball intended for Michael Thomas – nice ball hawking interception.
- Stephone Anthony primarily working the weak side with the second team comes up with a nice pass breakup of a ball intended for TE Garrett Griffin.
- Tommylee Lewis has to commit offensive pass interference on an over thrown ball – Crawley would have had the pick, heads up play by Lewis.
- WR Rashad Lawrence with a nice toe tapping sideline catch.
- Corey Fuller continues his strong camp with an outstanding catch on a poorly thrown ball with tight double coverage. He bobbled it while twisting, securing it before he hit the ground.
11 on 11 team drill crank up once again.
- Just watching Adrian Peterson move around out here gives me the sense he’s ready to roll – no rust in them old bones.
- Willie Snead really has had a solid day, this time beating Rafael Bush on long middle crossing pattern.
- Mark Ingram showing some burst with a long run on the left side.
- And the rotating 1st team linebackers continue. This time it’s Manti Te’o at Mike, Alex Anzalone at Will and A.J. Klein at Sam.
- David Onyemata comes out swinging against Bryce Harris, they got between them before any damage was done.
- Curtis Johnson pulls Corey Fuller to the side teaching him a few things, I like to see the one on one coaching.
- Jack Allen’s rough day continues with two more bad snaps.
- Bad throw by Garrett Grayson intended for Travin Dural, Ken Crawley with the blanket coverage.
- Did I mention Willie Snead is catching everything?
- Travin Dural with a short crossing pattern which he bust loose and almost takes it to the house.
- Coby Fleener drops a perfect pass – Kenny Vaccaro on the coverage.
- De’Vante Harris with a nice pass breakup on a ball intended for Michael Thomas.
- Tommylee Lewis with a nice deep ball catch in between Crawley and Vaccaro.
- Mark Ingram easily beats Manti Te’o on a pass out of the backfield.
- Ryan Nassib’s long day continues as he over threw a wide open Garrett Griffin deep down the middle.
- Michael Thomas showing his strong hands and he make a tough catch with PJ Williams draped all over him.
- Brandon Coleman with the play of the day as he stiff arms safety Vonn Bell to the ground and races at least 50-60 yards down the sideline for the touchdown. And with that play practice is over.
Well that’s a wrap for today. Overall as I mentioned earlier that I thought Practice was sloppy and even though there were some outstanding plays, they still are a ways off in terms running like a well oiled machine – it will come folks, it’s still early.
Next up I will be back out here this coming Wednesday, so look for a report and thanks for reading today.