I had a feeling walking into camp today that coach Payton was going to take it easy on the team especially after yesterday’s spirited practice. Payton usually does this the last day before everybody gets a six-week vacation ~ the dead period is here folks and usually no news is good news going into training camp.
Day Three Saints 2017 Mini Camp Photos and Notes
Today they worked on mostly short yardage situations with some special teams mixed in. During walk thru’s it was goal line run plays and in team drills it was the 30 yard line working in steps towards the goal line. I really don’t have many notes today because there wasn’t much going on, anyways here they are:
- They really need to do something about the Canes across the street, the aroma is torturing me.
- I might be paranoid but the absence of Terron Armstead and Dannell Ellerbe today doesn’t sit well, especially Armstead who when healthy is a top five tackle in this league. These two players when healthy are difference makers, the problem is that the last two years that hasn’t been the case. Lets just hope they are giving Armstead rest.
- While they were doing goal line someone missed an assignment – TE John Phillips was wide open on the play fake.
- Another rough day for tryout kicker Patrick Murray, he went 2 of 4 while Wil Lutz nailed all four of his attempts. It’s safe to say that Lutz has his job nailed down before camp starts, which I prefer considering Payton’s experimentation with the position in the past.
- Tommylee Lewis, Ted Ginn Jr, Alvin Kamara and Marcus Murphy getting work at punt return duties.
- Drew Brees connects with Ted Ginn Jr in the back corner of the end zone, nice catch by Ginn – from my angle it was hard to see if he stayed in bounds…Vonn Bell with the coverage.
- Brees is forced to check down to Coby Fleener but A.J. Klein tips it away at the last second.
- Brees hits Michael Thomas with a beautiful back shoulder strike for a touchdown, that’s a tough play to defend.
- Brandon Coleman open in the back corner of the end zone for the touchdown.
- Number 80 TE Clay Harbor with a nice up and out catch from Chase Daniel, don’t sleep on the old vet tight end, he’s seen plenty of action the last three days.
- Chase Daniel has to throw it away ~ was looking at Willie Snead with a seam route down the middle, double coverage was tight.
- Ken Crawley with the nice deep ball pass break up intended for Travin Dural.
- Michael Thomas with about a twenty yard catch on an out route.
- Marcus Murphy with a nice one-handed grab on a little flair route out of the backfield.
- Nate Stupar with a nice tip and interception on Garrett Grayson. I don’t think Grayson seen him ~ he looked to be dropping back into zone coverage in the middle of the goal line.
Well that’s it from Saints Mini Camp 2017, thanks for reading and I’ll be back out here giving reports when training camp opens up in a month and a half, so until then, as always….WHO DAT!!!