Today’s practice was much more crisp than yesterday in my opinion ~ especially on defense, who came up with numerous interceptions and pass break-ups. Today I took a few more notes than yesterday and less pictures….lets get started.
- I have to give Mike Nolan credit, where many Saints fans have written off former 1st round pick Stephone Anthony, Nolan clearly hasn’t. The first two days of camp has seen Anthony working with the 1st unit in the middle linebacker spot. Alex Anzalone also got some work there, he also seen some work at the strong side spot.
- Veteran TE Clay Harbor (80) got in a nice day of work and was targeted often including one at the beginning of team drills in what was clearly a busted coverage – he was wide open underneath.
- The first portion of team drills looked like a mirror of yesterday with a majority of run plays.
- Harbor is again wide open underneath.
- Coby Fleener with a good grab on about a 20 yard up and out with Kenny Vaccaro and Chris Banjo in coverage.
- Try out kicker Patrick Murray had a rough day shanking a field goal to the right (which may have been tipped) and another which was blocked. Wil Lutz looked good on his attempts.
- As things start to warm up the defense started to flex their muscle ~ Delvin Breaux with a perfectly timed pass break-up of Ted Ginn on a little 10 yard slant.
- Drew Brees just flat-out threw a bad pass and Craig Robertson was there for the easy interception.
- Corey Fuller with the nice deep sideline reception with Sterling Moore covering ~ Fuller pushed off in my opinion.
- Practice is definitely more lively today with more than a few players getting vocal.
- Michael Thomas with a sliding catch ~ Damian Swann in close coverage.
- Jordan Williams-Lambert dove for a deep bomb at the goal line and couldn’t come up with it (Swann on the coverage) nice throw by Chase Daniel.
- Chase Daniel with another pretty deep ball only to be dropped again, this time by Jake Lampman.
- Garrett Grayson sacked by Ashaad Mabry.
- Rashad Lawrence with a nice deep sideline grab with Swann and Taveze Calhoun in coverage ~ Grayson should have been sacked by the blitzing LB, who clearly pulled up (I think it was Nate Stupar)
- Number 62 (I have no clue who that is) with a pick but it seems the play may have been ruled dead.
- Bryce Harris getting a look on the offensive line with the 1st unit.
- Marshon Lattimore getting plenty of reps with the second unit and a few with the 1st.
- To me this is the play of the day ~ Ted Ginn on a deep post pattern with Delvin Breaux and Vonn Bell in coverage, the ball is tipped by Bell I believe and Breaux makes the interception – it was a bang-bang play and an outstanding effort.
- Tommy Lee Lewis with a nice leaping catch over Arthur Maulet, the little guy shows he can get up there if need be.
- In this portion of team drills Alvin Kamara is getting a lot of work catching passes out of the backfield ~ nothing spectacular, mainly dump off type of plays.
- Marshon Lattimore getting in on the action with a great pass break up on fellow Ohio Sate Alum Michael Thomas.
- Lattimore is at it again with a perfectly timed strip of Brandon Coleman, in a real game it would have been under review if it was a fumble or not, but to me it just looked like a good pass break up.
- Jordan Williams-Lambert is wide open for an easy catch.
- Chase Daniel with the coverage sack (sorry couldn’t see who it was)
- Arthur Maulet with the interception of Chase Daniel to close out a real solid effort by the defense.
That’s a wrap for today. I would like to thank Judy Boggan (@JuBeaux ) over at Saintsreport.com for being my second set of eyes out here ~ much appreciated. I’ll be back at it tomorrow so check back around this time and thanks for reading today.
Click on the first image and the picture gallery will come up