It’s been about a year since I sat in those bleachers over at Saints camp and the first thing it does is remind you real quick how sticky and hot south Louisiana can be. I’ve lived down here almost my whole life and I am still not used to it. I can’t imagine what its like for a rookie who’s getting his first taste of it while going through drills.
The first thing I took away from this first day of mini camp was that it was sloppy on both sides of the ball. With this team a few weeks into OTA’s I expected practice to roll along a little sharper than it did today–we’ll see if they tighten it up tomorrow. Here’s just a few notes from today’s practice.
- Alvin Kamara stuck out to me today, he’s very shifty and definitely can make people miss in the open field. On one play (a short dump off pass over the middle) he made Manti Te’o look foolish grasping at air on a double move.
- Delvin Breaux looking 100% on a deep ball intended for Brandon Coleman
- Nice to see Terron Armstead getting in some good work after being limited from rehabbing an injury.
- There were plenty of players in camp for tryouts ~ Impossible to tell who they were because they weren’t on the official roster.
- Travin Dural with the nice catch in traffic with tight coverage by Marshon Lattimore and Rafael Bush.
- Speaking of Lattimore he looked solid in coverage, just watching him away from the ball his coverage was tight. On one play it looked designed to be a deep post route to Coleman but his coverage caused a check down.
- I know at this time of the year Payton like to cross train players and mix them in with the 1st team 2nd team ect… but it was nice to see Stephone Anthony getting some work at the MLB spot with the 1st team. Also in PJ Williams absence CB Ken Crawley got in some work opposite Delvin Breaux.
- To finish off practice Drew Brees throws a dart over the middle for a touchdown to Coby Fleener as the offensive players erupt. I have to think that wind sprints were on the line for that reaction because soon after, the defense had to run them. (towards the end of the photo gallery there’s a couple of pictures of this)
Well that’s it for today. Tomorrow I’ll back out there for another report so swing by around this time tomorrow and check it out and thanks for stopping by today.
Click on the first image and the gallery will come up