Day two is in the books and while humid the weather was bearable, no torrential downpours today. One thing I want to mention before I start, I know a lot of Saints fans are down on Zach Strief, some of it warranted and some of it not. But today before practice began there he is helping a long shot to make the team (Joe Cheek) off to the side showing him technique. He doesn’t have to do this but this is who he is – a true pro.
Again like yesterday it was a spirited practice – very vocal on both sides. The crowd was also more vocal and noticeably larger than the previous day. Here are some of the things that caught my eye today:
- 1st team defense on the walk thru’s Jordan, Fairley, Jenkins, Anthony, Breaux, Lewis, Vaccaro, Byrd, Gwacham, Ellerbe, Laurinaitis.
- On the offensive line you had Strief RT, Peat RG, Unger C, Kelemente/Lelito LG, Armstead LT.
- Saints showing some three safety sets with Kenny Vaccaro, Roman Harper and Erik Harris.
- Nice deep sideline jump ball catch by WR Reggie Bell – he had his man beat but had to wait on the ball.
- Vonn Bell getting work at FS split between some second and first team work.
- Garrett Grayson is dumping off the ball to his safety valve way too much in my opinion.
- Kenny Vaccaro comes out of nowhere to break up a sideline pass intended for Coby Fleener – the crowd erupts.
- RJ Harris continues his strong OTA’s/camp.
- Delvin Breaux with the nice deep ball break up on Kyle Prater.
- Da’Vonte Harris is beaten badly by Willie Snead on a deep crossing route which to me looked like he would have scored.
- Tyeler Davison is primarily working with the second unit.
- Ryker Mathews beaten by Davis Tull that would have resulted in a sack.
- Looks like they are limiting some of Brees snaps today – Grayson is getting a lot of work in.
- Grayson shows great touch on a medium deep sideline throw to Jake Lampman.
- PJ Williams continues to impress, his coverage is solid.
- The Saints go through a long session dedicated to the run game – Marcus Murphy and Daniel Lasco both look sharp with their acceleration through the holes.
- Nate Stuptar rotating in with the 1st team.
- PJ Williams with a nice pass break up intended for Brandin Cooks on a short crossing route.
- Roman Harper looking young with a strip. Not sure it was a fumble though–kind of bang, bang play. Wish I had replay out here.
- Craig Robertson needs to reel it in a bit and realize they aren’t wearing pads as he lays a little wood on a player. He did help him up though.
- Garrett Grayson locks on to one receiver as Chris Manhertz is wide open down the right side. Didn’t even look to that side of the field.
- Marshall Faulk is in attendance today.
- PJ Williams closing speed has caught my eye these last two days.
- LB Dillon Lee with the defensive play of the day as he jumps a sideline route and picks off Garrett Grayson.
- TE Garrett Griffin showing some athleticism with a leaping catch.
- Drew Brees in the two-minute drill is going toe to toe with James Laurinaitis changing plays as Laurinaitis adjust the defense. Defense wins as Tim Hightower has a ball go off his hands and into the hands of Nate Stuptar.
- Defense wins the day and the offense must do push-ups while the defense watches.
Saints Mini Camp 2016 Day Two Notes Observations and Pictures
Click on the image to get the gallery to come up