Sean Payton was interviewed today at the NFL owners’ meeting in Phoenix, Arizona. This information comes from tweets from Nick Underhill of the Advocate and Larry Holder of Nola.
What We Know From Interview With Sean Payton
- He really really likes Josh Hill
- Envisions a great role for CJ Spiller based on tape prior to last year. Sees him as one of the speediest guys on the field.
- Jahri Evans will maintain his job. Examined Evans and Grubbs closely. Trade talk with both of those players.
- Mr. Benson is as sharp as ever. Daily comes to the office and is very involved with the Saints. Not concerned with the succession plan at all.
- Reporters should exercise judgment on publishing stories instead of speculating and creating a story such as the trade rumors on Drew Brees
- He talks to Brees weekly and bounces ideas off of him like who he likes in free agency and who he played with in the ProBowl. Brees is able to provide unique insight.
- He wants motivated players in the locker room.
- Thinks Sunday night-Thursday night road game last year was ‘oversight.’ Thinks league will correct going forward.
- Plan is to move Hawthorne over to Mike to replace Lofton. Wanted Lofton to improve in a lot of areas and take a pay cut. Didn’t pan out.
- Thinks Rob Ryan, Dennis Allen will work well together.
- Investment in running backs doesn’t signal philosophical change. But says wants to find a way to win without scoring 35 points.
- Won’t trade up for Marcus Mariota. “Won’t happen.”
- Misses Tyrunn Walker. Tough guy to lose. Lions are getting a guy who’s a real versatile player.
- Team in talks with Cam Jordan’s agent on a long term deal
- On Bush meeting, Saints didn’t expect to sign Spiller. Once that became possible, they moved that direction.
- He’ll look hard at the WR position in the draft. Deep draft for wide receivers. Indicates they’ll take a defensive lineman or edge player or two in the draft
- Anthony Spencer visited on Monday. Nothing to announce. Talked with Brees after the Graham trade. Said Brees handled the deal fine
- Likes Seantavius Jones and Brandon Coleman.
- Likes Delvin Breaux. Likes the mix at cornerback. Sees the Saints playing more bump and run defense. Beaux had 15 or 16 tryouts throughout the league. Another big CB who can play at the line. Also likes Baptiste.
- Browner’s comfort zone is playing up close to the line of scrimmage. Didn’t want a 5-8 guy playing out there.
- Stills trade: Feels like Ellerbe graded high and can play and the pick helps.
- Team is not moving a player if they don’t have a plan to fill them. Holes at wide receiver, guard, and linebacker are what he referred to.
— New Orleans Saints (@Saints) March 25, 2015