Aussie

Aussie on Vilma in Court

For those of you who weren’t following it, here is my view of what happened today. It will only be short because I stayed up all night tracking it across the Internet.

• The NFL took the approach that Vilma had not properly exhausted the appeal process by virtue of the fact that he did not present evidence or call witnesses on June 18th in front of Roger Goodell.
  • Vilma and his party spent a lengthy time defining words such as “whack,” “cart-off” and the phrase “kill the head.”
  • Present and former team mates/ staff testified in favour of Vilma, often drawing reference to his character both on and off the field.
  • Judge Ginger Berrigan questioned whether or not Roger Goodell had actually overstepped his jurisdiction in handing out discipline to the former and current Saints players.
  • The NFL legal team said it doubted Berrigan had the jurisdiction to determine that.

In closing, it looks as though the legal side of this matter swayed in favour of Vilma today, though no decision was forthcoming and could be delayed until after the NFLPA has had its say.

About Ben "Aussie" Sheller

Born, raised and living in Australia the New Orleans Saints have still, somehow, managed to work their way into my heart. Regularly getting up as early as 1am, I spend as much time as possible living and breathing Black and Gold. Twitter handle AussieSaint@TheAussieSaint Outside of WDW I am a full-time university student (Bachelor of Communications in Advertising), an Assistant Manager at Snowgum (a travel and adventure retailer), an outdoor/adventure sports enthusiast and, importantly, an Australian. Think beaches, marsupials and sports. That's me!

Discussion

10 Responses to “Aussie on Vilma in Court”

1. Think Gabe Feldman, local Sports law professor at Tulane, agrees with you, Aussie Looks it may have swayed in Vilma’s favor. Can’t impose discipline on a lie

Posted by KeepTheDomeLoud | July 26, 2012, 6:33 pm
    • I followed him closely last night (my time). He seems like a really intelligent guy… I wish the Saints had him as a staff member!

Posted by aussiesaint | July 26, 2012, 6:34 pm
  2. I wish she would have ruled today. With camp starting it’s time for the team to shift gears into focus mode, It’s a long grind.

Posted by egghead | July 26, 2012, 6:31 pm
    • There is, apparently, a slim chance that she could rule tonight. As much as I distaste conjecture (which has made this off-season even worse) I do hope that she does!

Posted by aussiesaint | July 26, 2012, 6:32 pm
      • The NFL lawyers are an arrogant bunch telling the judge she pretty much doesn’t have jurisdiction, She’s a freakin Judge, i’m pretty much sure she knows what she can and can’t do.

Posted by egghead | July 26, 2012, 6:56 pm
        • Levy: “Your honor, I don’t want to argue w/ you.” Judge: “Go on. It’s your nature as a lawyer.”

TP quoted that in their Twitter coverage.

Posted by aussiesaint | July 26, 2012, 7:22 pm
          • Amazing day. Was there when Vilma arrived but had to go back to work. Wish I could have been in the courtroom. Shook Randal Gay’s hand, told Vilma hi, and told Ginsberg to take good care of him! What a groupie!

Posted by KeepTheDomeLoud | July 26, 2012, 7:30 pm
        • Usual for attorneys. Ginsberg lit into Goodell at Players’ hearing; told Goodell he didn’t have jurisdiction either. They like to argue

Posted by KeepTheDomeLoud | July 26, 2012, 7:31 pm
      • Looks like she asked NLFPA to put out a brief by Aug 3! Think that is a good sign

Posted by KeepTheDomeLoud | July 26, 2012, 7:32 pm
        • That’s great news! I’m at work now so it’s harder to follow… Glad she had something to say tonight.

Posted by aussiesaint | July 26, 2012, 7:37 pm

16,800 Who Dat Strong

San Francisco 49ers

Receive each post by email